back to top
- rip stop waterproof nylon
- 1 cm elastic
- all purpose thread
- Measure length, width and height of pannier fully loaded.
- Dimensions of fabric needed is: length + 2 X width + 30 cm by height + 2 X width + 30 cm.
- Choose side that is to cover top of pannier, and round off the corners.
- On the bottom side that is to cover the bottom of the pannier cut corners so that seams will fit snuggly to the bottom of pannier.
- Sew together corner seams (5/8”)
- Iron seams flat, be careful not melt fabric by ironing on a low setting and placing fabric between a towel.
- Iron down a 1 cm casing for the elastic, then sew casing leaving a 3 cm gap to insert the elastic through.
- To measure how much elastic you need pannier on the rack and take a piece of string and circle it around the top and underside of the bag to measure how much you want the elastic to draw around the bag. It doesn’t need to be tight, just stretched enough that it doesn’t pull off easily.
- Use the safety pin to guide the elastic through the casing. Sew together the ends of elastic and finish sewing the casing down. The stitching will compromise the waterproofing but the stitched part of the cover will not be exposed to the elements.
back to top
Jean’s Fruit Bars (adapted from “Babes in the Woods” by Bobbi Hoadley)
- 4 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup dry sweetener (brown sugar)
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 2 cups chopped dried fruit (apricots and cranberries)
- optional ½ cup chocolate chips
Melt and mix together:
- ¾ cup margarine
- ¾ cup jam (orange marmalade)
Mix together dry and wet ingredients. Grease a 9 x 13 pan and press mixture into it. Bake at 400° F for 20 min. When cooled cut into bars.
Stovetop granola bars
- 3/4 cup dry sugar (packed brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup wet sugar (honey)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 2 ¼ cups toasted and sliced nuts, seeds etc (almonds, sesame seeds and wheat germ)
- 1 ½ cups dried assorted fruit chopped
In a large saucepan or electric frying pan, combine sugar, butter, honey, water, and salt. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in oats, nuts and seeds. Cook, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and add fruits. Pour into pan lined with wax paper (or grease well). Score deeply into bars of desired size. Allow to cool for 30 minutes. Break along score lines. Store in an airtight container.
Peanut Butter Munchies
- 1 cup peanut butter (or other nut butter)
- ¼ cup honey (or molasses)
- 3 cups instant oatmeal
- ¼ cups currents (or other finely chopped dried fruit)
- cocoa powder (or powdered milk)
- grated coconut
Kneed all ingredients (except coconut) together. Use cocoa powder to make it stick together. Roll into bite size balls then roll balls in coconut.